Today BMD DaVinci Resolve announced support for CalMAN 5

Site news and announcements, including forum rules and user agreement.

Moderators: laheberlein, derekjsmith

Today BMD DaVinci Resolve announced support for CalMAN 5

Postby derekjsmith » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Yes CalMAN 5.3 has support for using Resolve as a built in pattern generator and can build 3D LUTs .cube for calibration of the display with Resolve. CalMAN 5.3 will be ready for release next week. Anyone wishing to test or use this before next week let us know.

Also with CalMAN 5.3 we now support full APL control over the patterns so for those using Plasma and Resolve we have you covered.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Re: Today BMD DaVinci Resolve announced support for CalMAN 5

Postby derekjsmith » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:49 pm

For those Resolve users that would like to get a free evaluation contact us at resolve@spectracal.com for the license key.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby Manni » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:32 am

This is great news Derek, well done!

Two questions:

1) does this work with resolve lite or only with the full version?
2) with resolve's 3d LUT, are the corrections only applied to resolve's own output, or can resolve be used to calibrate the station itself, ie output from other software as well?
CalMAN V5.8.1 Ultimate, i1Pro2 RevE, BasiCColor Discus, Spyder 4 Pro, Minolta T-10
A/V: Panasonic UB900, Denon X7200WA, JVC RS500 (X7000)
HTPC: i7@ 4.2Ghz 16Gb@2.1GHz 1080Ti MadVR Win10 Pro x64
Laptop: MBP 13" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB 2TB SSD Win10 Pro x64
Manni
Calibration Ninja

Postby derekjsmith » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Manni wrote:This is great news Derek, well done!

Two questions:

1) does this work with resolve lite or only with the full version?
2) with resolve's 3d LUT, are the corrections only applied to resolve's own output, or can resolve be used to calibrate the station itself, ie output from other software as well?

Yes Resolve and Resolute Lite. 3D LUT only to the Resolve output.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby Manni » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:38 am

Thanks Derek, very exciting, looking forward to trying this soon with 5.3.
CalMAN V5.8.1 Ultimate, i1Pro2 RevE, BasiCColor Discus, Spyder 4 Pro, Minolta T-10
A/V: Panasonic UB900, Denon X7200WA, JVC RS500 (X7000)
HTPC: i7@ 4.2Ghz 16Gb@2.1GHz 1080Ti MadVR Win10 Pro x64
Laptop: MBP 13" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB 2TB SSD Win10 Pro x64
Manni
Calibration Ninja

Postby SilverFox2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:49 am

Hi Derek,

How does Resolve output the correct patterns?
I was under the impression that patterns via PC were very ''iffy''.

I have tried to install the Lite version but installation fails due to the need for what the error message calls a CC Card or something like that.
Resolve Forum claims this is almost a 'fatal' fault unless this card is installed.
SilverFox2
Calibration Hero

Postby derekjsmith » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm

SilverFox2 wrote:Hi Derek,

How does Resolve output the correct patterns?
I was under the impression that patterns via PC were very ''iffy''.

I have tried to install the Lite version but installation fails due to the need for what the error message calls a CC Card or something like that.
Resolve Forum claims this is almost a 'fatal' fault unless this card is installed.

Yes either your graphics chip has hooks that Resolve can use or you use a BMD secondary output card they have full control over. In either case the patterns generated with Resolve are correct because they have full control over the output.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby djgarcia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks, Derek! I don't have Resolve but would like to test in 5.3.
Sharp Elite PRO 70X5FD, Radiance 2143, C6 HDR, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, Windows 10 CU
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Postby felixv » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

hello,
it will be possible to use use Resolve output from a mac?
CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, MacBook Pro 15", Parallels Desktop, i1Display Pro, X-Rite i1Pro
Popcorn Hour A-400 Network Media Tank, Denon DBP-1610 Blu-ray Player, Sony PlayStation 3 console
Panasonic TX-P55VT60E, Apple Cinema Display 23"
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby derekjsmith » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:18 pm

felixv wrote:hello,
it will be possible to use use Resolve output from a mac?

Depending on the model. Resolve Lite is free to download and use. CalMAN for Resolve works with both Resolve and Resolve Lite.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby FrameLinear » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Any update on the 5.3 release? I'm a CalMAN Studio / Resolve user and would love to test this workflow on my next calibration run.

Thanks!
Peder Morgenthaler
Founder / Colorist
Frame Linear
http://www.framelinear.com
FrameLinear
New User

Postby derekjsmith » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:08 pm

FrameLinear wrote:Any update on the 5.3 release? I'm a CalMAN Studio / Resolve user and would love to test this workflow on my next calibration run.

Thanks!

We had a couple of delays in testing but should have something on the forums to download today.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby felixv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 am

Hello,
at least in the future, you think it will be possible at least on the Enthusiast Home Theater license to use the Resolve Lite as a pattern generator? Taking into account that Lite is free and doesn't do 3D Lut like the full version, i think it will be a fantastic alternative for home use, especially to the VirtualForge Video Pattern Generator with AJA T-Tap.

Thank you.
CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, MacBook Pro 15", Parallels Desktop, i1Display Pro, X-Rite i1Pro
Popcorn Hour A-400 Network Media Tank, Denon DBP-1610 Blu-ray Player, Sony PlayStation 3 console
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby jebj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:33 am

felixv,

I was also under the wrong impression that Calman with Resolve would be a low cost general purpose pattern generator. Some of the initial announcements about this new combination of Resolve and Calman unfortunately did not contain enough specifics to make the purpose clear. I did ask Spectracal and received confirmation and I quote "You’re right the intention is not to use Resolve as a low-cost general-purpose pattern generator for calibrating other displays. The idea is only to use Resolve for a pattern generator to calibrate the monitor attached to the Resolve system, by means of creating a 3D LUT to load into Resolve." This feature is also only supported on the Pro versions of Calman.

Virtualforge is our least expensive option for a reference quality pattern generator.

JJ
jebj
Calibration Soldier

Postby felixv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:46 pm

jebj wrote:felixv,

I was also under the wrong impression that Calman with Resolve would be a low cost general purpose pattern generator. Some of the initial announcements about this new combination of Resolve and Calman unfortunately did not contain enough specifics to make the purpose clear. I did ask Spectracal and received confirmation and I quote "You’re right the intention is not to use Resolve as a low-cost general-purpose pattern generator for calibrating other displays. The idea is only to use Resolve for a pattern generator to calibrate the monitor attached to the Resolve system, by means of creating a 3D LUT to load into Resolve." This feature is also only supported on the Pro versions of Calman.

Virtualforge is our least expensive option for a reference quality pattern generator.

JJ

Yeah, a lot of misunderstanding. Anyway, if i consider purchasing a Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor, i can use it together with CalMAN Client 3 for Mac to calibrate my hdmi tv, at a reference level?
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby jebj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:38 pm

You would likely to be able to use the Ultrastudio mini monitor as the output for Virtualforge instead of T-Tap but i don't see how it can be used with Client 3. You should check with Spectracal.
jebj
Calibration Soldier

Postby derekjsmith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:48 pm

jebj wrote:You would likely to be able to use the Ultrastudio mini monitor as the output for Virtualforge instead of T-Tap but i don't see how it can be used with Client 3. You should check with Spectracal.

The Thunderbolt products from both BMD and AJA are supported with the VirtualForge. Client 3 is only for video card LUT and ICC.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby derekjsmith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm

felixv wrote:Hello,
at least in the future, you think it will be possible at least on the Enthusiast Home Theater license to use the Resolve Lite as a pattern generator? Taking into account that Lite is free and doesn't do 3D Lut like the full version, i think it will be a fantastic alternative for home use, especially to the VirtualForge Video Pattern Generator with AJA T-Tap.

Thank you.

Yes we are going to allow Resolve as a pattern generator with CalMAN Enthusiast. It will be in the update next week.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby felixv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:46 pm

derekjsmith wrote:
felixv wrote:Hello,

Thank you.

Yes we are going to allow Resolve as a pattern generator with CalMAN Enthusiast. It will be in the update next week.

Fantastic news, thank you!
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby jebj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Derek,

For Enthusiast, the purpose is still the same as for the Pro versions, correct? Only for creating a 3D LUT for the resolve output monitor.
jebj
Calibration Soldier

Postby derekjsmith » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:11 am

jebj wrote:Derek,

For Enthusiast, the purpose is still the same as for the Pro versions, correct? Only for creating a 3D LUT for the resolve output monitor.

No for Enthusiast it is just a pattern generator. You will need CalMAN for Resolve, CalMAN Studio or CalMAN Ultimate to create 3D LUTs.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby felixv » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 pm

hello,
i saw that in the new version, Resolve appears in Sources list. I tried to see if it works, but after CalMAN opens the connection, the Resolve Lite (mac) keeps the SpectraCal CalMAN option from Color>Monitor Calibration grayed out. I don't have yet an output device, but at least the apps should communicate even whithout the output device, no?

Also, can you confirm that Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor will work with hdmi, from CalMAN through Resolve? I read that from VideoForge the Blackmagic hdmi output it's not recommended, only SDI.

thank you.
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby idm » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 am

How accurate are the patterns from resolve? The reason for asking is, I am not sure if upgrading to a pc with the necessary hardware to run resolve will justify the accuracy of the patterns as opposed to the videoforge with aja t-tap. Please will someone provide a comparisson so as to make the decision easier on what route to go.
idm
Calibration Soldier

Postby Joel Barsotti » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am

idm wrote:How accurate are the patterns from resolve? The reason for asking is, I am not sure if upgrading to a pc with the necessary hardware to run resolve will justify the accuracy of the patterns as opposed to the videoforge with aja t-tap. Please will someone provide a comparisson so as to make the decision easier on what route to go.

If you're looking for a pattern generator, the Virtual Forge with a T-tap is the right way to go.

The pattern generator in resolve is accurate for resolve, but it was never intended to be stand alone pattern generator.
SpectraCal Developer
Joel Barsotti
Site Admin

Postby OlaHaldor » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:04 pm

i saw that in the new version, Resolve appears in Sources list. I tried to see if it works, but after CalMAN opens the connection, the Resolve Lite (mac) keeps the SpectraCal CalMAN option from Color>Monitor Calibration grayed out. I don't have yet an output device, but at least the apps should communicate even whithout the output device, no?

Also, can you confirm that Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Monitor will work with hdmi, from CalMAN through Resolve? I read that from VideoForge the Blackmagic hdmi output it's not recommended, only SDI.

thank you.

Did you get it working yet?
I made a new project, added an empty timeline and got a message I had to have something in the timeline. So I added a video clip of a SMPTE colorbar. I got the CalMAN connection window up and connected to CalMAN for Resolve successfully. The entire profiling and LUT creation process took about 1.5 to 2 hours.
OlaHaldor
Calibration Soldier

Postby felixv » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 pm

OlaHaldor wrote:

thank you.

Did you get it working yet?
I made a new project, added an empty timeline and got a message I had to have something in the timeline. So I added a video clip of a SMPTE colorbar. I got the CalMAN connection window up and connected to CalMAN for Resolve successfully. The entire profiling and LUT creation process took about 1.5 to 2 hours.

yes, i made a step forward thanks to your suggestions. i was on the media workspace, not color, and after i figured out how to place a clip in a new fresh created timeline i could finally link CalMAN to Resolve. you profiled a display, or a tv through a lut-aware video processor?
felixv
Calibration Soldier

Postby OlaHaldor » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:15 pm

I profiled and made a LUT for a professional video monitor. I loaded the LUT as a display LUT in Resolve. In the long run I'll have to get a LUT box, so I can get correct scopes. The scopes I'm using is 3rd party based on the SDI output from Resolve.
OlaHaldor
Calibration Soldier

Return to News & Announcements