CalMAN deactivating itself - More information here

Site news and announcements, including forum rules and user agreement.

Moderators: laheberlein, derekjsmith

CalMAN deactivating itself - More information here

Postby calby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:32 am

Hi,
Today when I was going to start CalMan I did get a error messages telling me that my licens is not installed on the same system, Se attached image.
I have not change anything in my system or have I change any software more then updating Windows (let's hope that's not the issue) and I have change the computer name as I need to do so to enter the network here. And update the FW for my chipset and BIOS as Lenovo have released updates for it, if that's the case and that's the trigger SpectraCal need to take a look on the license attachment thing to the computers as for me I have a brand new system and BIOS and Chipset updates 'll happen again is my guess as the system might have bugs.
It did work fine for some days ago when I did use it to calibrate my display.

So now, I can't even use CalMan as it don't let me to de-activate the license as it did uninstall the license by it self, this should not happen - if this issue happens because of something the license should de-activate it self so I can activate it again.
Now I need to wait for the customer service to replay my e-mail and because of that I can't calibrate the TV now when I have time to do it.

I'm just pissed off right now, sorry for it - but this issue should not even bee happening as I have not change anything in my system (hardware) or re-installed Windows or done anything more then what every user are doing with there computer.

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TestGoddess on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I'm hijacking this thread
Lenovo Thinkpad T470s (Windows 10 Pro (latest build))
CalMan 5.7.2 Enthusiast (latest build)
MobileForge @ Apple TV 4 trough iPad Air
i1Display Pro rev.B
calby
Calibration Hero

Re: The licens did trough me out.

Postby TestGoddess » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 am

Replied via PM
Melissa - SpectraCal Quality Assurance
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby nuhi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 am

Same here, now I'm left with 0 activations left and it doesn't allow me to activate.

Edit: I didn't change anything in the bios, could be new Windows 1703 upgrade?
nuhi
New User

Postby TestGoddess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:47 am

nuhi wrote:Same here, now I'm left with 0 activations left and it doesn't allow me to activate.

Can you PM me your license information? I can go through and get you back up and running.

See next post as well as I am going to want more information from anyone seeing this issue.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby TestGoddess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

So, a brief history.

Up until 5.7.2, there has been no verification check on our license keys. We used the honor system, that our users would not abuse our trust and use their keys strictly as intended. Sadly, over the years this has been greatly abused. In addition we have had many requests to improve our licensing system and add some additional functionality that was not available with the old method.

So, this is what has lead up for us to institute the new system. It works like many others out there. They key is tied to a hardware ID and that gets registered on a central server. The server tracks how many activations are available and how many have been assigned (this halts key sharing). Its a system used in a lot of different software out there.

The issue mentioned here in the thread is that it is more possible for that Hardware ID to change beneath CalMAN than we realized.

The first we identified has to do with MAC address. A MAC address is an ID tied directly to the physical network card. The active MAC address will change if you use different network adapters (such as switching between wired and wireless networks). It can also change if you make use of a feature in Windows 10 that will randomize your wireless card's MAC address.

If anyone is hitting this scenario, please contact me directly. I do have a build that will resolve this specific issue, but it will require us to jump through a few hoops and is not ready to be thrown out to the general public. Basically it will break anyone who has been running just fine, which is the vast majority of our users.

Any change which requires you to reactivate Windows will also cause the same for CalMAN. So major hardware changes, etc will cause CalMAN to think it is no longer the machine it was registered on.

Calby, could you check your activation status in Windows for me? I'd like to see if that changed for you at all.

We are trying to work out a solution to the issues our users are seeing. However we have to be careful here in that we don't want to disrupt our customers who are not having an issue. This is sadly going to take us a little time to find the best path with the least disruption. Trust me, if we put out a new build that causes everyone's CalMAN install to deactivate, I'm taking a month's vacation somewhere with no electricity, cell service, or phone lines. :D

I do request, if anyone out there runs across this issue, please contact me directly. The behavior you will see is that CalMAN is activated and running as normal. Then one time you will start CalMAN and you will see the error message Calby shows above. After that CalMAN will be in evaluation mode and will not be able to activate again until we intervene.

You can contact me either through this thread, a private PM here on the forums, or email me directly at qa@spectracal.com. I do request that you not share private information on public areas of this forum (such as this thread).

When reporting, please try to provide as much information as possible on any system changes you can think of. So far I have been unable to reproduce the behavior with any Windows updates, be they normal or Insider Preview. In Calby's situation, it is possible his might have been triggered by a BIOS update, which I am trying to look into now.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby djgarcia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:26 am

Melissa, you should probably use this post to open it's own thread. There's a huge Windows upgrade coming in a few days (the one nuhi mentioned) that from your post will probably deactivate most Windows users, in case you weren't aware.

I've gone through BIOS updates with no problems thankfully, as I do them fairly often in my overclocking activities.
Sharp Elite PRO 70X5FD, Radiance 2143, C6 HDR, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, Windows 10 CU
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Re: CalMAN deactivating itself - More information here

Postby TestGoddess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks for letting me know about the BIOS updates on your system.

I also decided to just hijack this thread. Sorry Calby :)
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby djgarcia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:38 pm

No problems running CalMAN 5.7.2 after Windows Creators update.
Sharp Elite PRO 70X5FD, Radiance 2143, C6 HDR, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, Windows 10 CU
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Postby TestGoddess » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 pm

I've gone through it on two Windows 10 machines here (32 and 64 bit) without any issues as well.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby calby » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 am

@TestGoddess

Sorry for the late answer but here it is,
My license for Windows is Windows 10 Pro x64 and have not change when CalMan did de-activate it self.

My guess is that the FW update for my Intel chipset did trigger the de-activation as my LAN-card is integrated in the chipset.
I have updated the drivers for both my LAN and Wifi card without any issues, but I'm always using the Wifi card so I have not tried to use the LAN I have only updated the drivers for it.
Do you want me to change my connection from Wifi to LAN to see if it's affecting the CalMan activation?

I'm running the BETA that you did send me.
Lenovo Thinkpad T470s (Windows 10 Pro (latest build))
CalMan 5.7.2 Enthusiast (latest build)
MobileForge @ Apple TV 4 trough iPad Air
i1Display Pro rev.B
calby
Calibration Hero

Postby colemad5 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Hello,

I am having this same issue and since I am part of the Windows Insider program this will continue to happen as Microsoft pushes new Windows builds to my machine almost weekly. Can I get a copy of this test build?
colemad5
New User

Postby TestGoddess » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:45 pm

The test build won't make a difference with anything other than the MAC address change. That is the only code difference between this build and the current release.

That said, I need to verify the root of your behavior, which means I'm going to need some information. As some of this will be personal to your account, please send your reply to qa@spectracal.com.

1) I'll need your Customer ID, License ID, or email address associated with your license.

2) Are you using a feature to randomize your MAC address? (This only applies to some wireless network adapters)

This website can give more information on how to check to see if that is enabled or disabled.
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-random-m ... i-adapter/

3) Do you perhaps switch between physical network adapters? For example. use wired in some case but switch to wireless in others? Or maybe use multiple USB network adapters. Or something else similar?
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby Mark H » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 am

Mine deactivated yesterday.

I was set up to use the VideoForge over wifi, so there was no internet connection. Started CalMAN and said something about no authentication and went into demo mode. Had to reconnect to the internet and input my license details before then connecting to the VideoForge. Very frustrating.
Mark H
Calibration Samurai

Postby derekjsmith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am

Mark, the next update too CalMAN 2017 removes the MAC address check as part of the licensing interface. The VideoForge direct connect over WiFi probably triggered this issue. We hope to have a beta of CalMAN 2017 post NAB.
Derek Smith CTO/Founder
derekjsmith
Site Admin

Postby TestGoddess » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

Mark H wrote:Mine deactivated yesterday.

I was set up to use the VideoForge over wifi, so there was no internet connection. Started CalMAN and said something about no authentication and went into demo mode. Had to reconnect to the internet and input my license details before then connecting to the VideoForge. Very frustrating.

Send me an email at qa@spectracal.com. I can get you reset and a beta build which removed the MAC address feature. Switching between wired and wireless will 100% trigger the behavior.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby p5browne » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:16 am

Just installed the new Windows 10 Creator (Version # 1703) via DVD, and updates over wifi.
No licence issues last night.

Edit:

Second laptop upgraded to Windows 10 Creator, Calman also working OK
Last edited by p5browne on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p5browne
Calibration Hero

Postby Mark H » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:22 am

[quote="TestGoddess"]Send me an email at qa@spectracal.com. I can get you reset and a beta build which removed the MAC address feature. Switching between wired and wireless will 100% trigger the behavior.[/quote]

Ok, so that suggests a fix will be released? If so, I can wait. Am reactivated and will avoid using the VideoForge until the update is ready.
Mark H
Calibration Samurai

Postby TestGoddess » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:34 pm

I don't know when or how a fix will be released at the moment. There are other factors involved that are going to make this one a major issue to update and we'll likely drag our feet to make sure we avoid as many complications as possible.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby JimP » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm

TestGoddess,

I'm trying to figure out the logic on activations/deactivations on your web portal.

Is the idea that if you have a license active on one computer (say your internet computer) but want to use another computer (your main calibration computer) that you can go into the license page of your internet computer, deactivate the license there, then open your calibration computer license page and activate it there?
LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, Calman 5 enthusiast on Windows 7 computer, VideoForge HDMI, Klein K10A, CR250RH.
JimP
Calibration Hero

Postby TestGoddess » Mon May 01, 2017 9:23 am

Almost.

Yes, 1 activation and 3 deactivations basically means that you can deactivate and move your CalMAN activation 3 times. A used activation comes back once it has been deactivated. The idea is more geared towards getting a new calibration laptop or similar than switching between muiltiple calibration machines.

As of the moment, you can only deactivate from within CalMAN itself. This might change in the future. If, for some reason, you were not able to deactivate from within CalMAN (machine does, etc), contact customer service and they will be able to deactivate it for you manually.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby GliderBoy » Wed May 10, 2017 8:44 am

@TestGoddess, I ran into this issue today. Just sent you a PM to qa@spectracal.com.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
GliderBoy
GliderBoy
New User

Postby djgarcia » Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 am

So in other words, the activation / deactivation process is meant to cover defective PCs, not a business process that continually uses two systems.
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Postby TestGoddess » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

DJ, correct, its not supposed to be part of a Business process.

Gliderboy, replied to your message.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby marcaine » Wed May 10, 2017 6:38 pm

TestGoddess wrote:
nuhi wrote:Same here, now I'm left with 0 activations left and it doesn't allow me to activate.

Can you PM me your license information? I can go through and get you back up and running.

See next post as well as I am going to want more information from anyone seeing this issue.

Same here!!Please help me too!!I bought a new laptop because the old one I had died on me so now I'm screwed with the same issue!
marcaine
New User

Postby TestGoddess » Thu May 11, 2017 10:12 am

marcaine wrote:
TestGoddess wrote:

Same here!!Please help me too!!I bought a new laptop because the old one I had died on me so now I'm screwed with the same issue!

I'm out of the office today. Contact customerservice@portrait.com with your license information and let them know your old laptop died and need it manually deactivated.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby ALCOMData » Thu May 11, 2017 12:01 pm

FYI. . .

I had similar issues when I went to update my Home Enthusiast software yesterday. (I'm using an HP Spectre with Windows 10 64 Prom which is up to date.)

The first red flag was that the current software's expiration date showed March 2017, but I RENEWED my license on May 4, 2017.

After installation, it said I didn't have a license and reverted to the trial version. When I tracked down my license and password information and entered it, it said that license was a duplicate because it was already registered.

Having been the "unofficial IT guy" at my office for over a decade, I did what any decent unofficial IT guy would do under similar circumstances: I closed down Calman, did a cold boot, and relaunched Calman. It worked, and has continued working since then.
ALCOMData
New User

Postby TestGoddess » Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Wow, I'm actually surprised that worked. Please let me know if it acts up on you again as I would like to delve into it further.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby TestGoddess » Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I just posted Beta1 for CalMAN 2017 (5.8.1 build 8 )
http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=6329

This contains the fix referenced here plus more.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby Nigel D Beale » Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Your license activation process needs a complete revision

If it works, you don't know why.

If it doesn't work well you still don't know why.

broken
Masterpiece Calibration Ltd (isf certified)
http://www.mastercal.co.nz

Calibration Laptop, Dell Latitude E6420, 8GBram, Win7 pro, Net4.5
CalMAN 5 Ultimate 2017 5.8.1.34
Jeti Specbos 1211BT
i1pro
i1D3retail
Murideo Six-G Six-A
DVDo AVTPG
Sencore VP401
Nigel D Beale
Calibration Hero

Location: Third rocky lump near a star amongst billions of stars and more rocky lumps

Postby Apofis » Sun May 28, 2017 10:27 am

Not working for me, already contacted you by email, you reset my "deactivations", but I'm in this situation where the Licensing software wont work at all, so Im already left with 1 activation and 1 deactivation left for this very reason.

Here's a video of what happens when I try to activate it: https://youtu.be/YHOMs_9N2wM
Apofis
New User

Postby rahut » Mon May 29, 2017 7:37 am

I have exactly the same problem. :oops:
CalMAN Ultimate, Virtualforge, Klein K10-A, JETI 1501, Murideo Six-G, Lumagen Radiance Pro
rahut
New User

Postby djgarcia » Mon May 29, 2017 8:10 am

Here's my recent positive experience. After going through the new beta conversion I had to restore my OS image, which had the 2016 version. I updated the software with the 2017 beta, got the trial situation, entered the license & password, clicked Activate Online, and it got properly activated. Wonder why some are having this problem. Could be a Windows version thing?
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Postby Apofis » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 am

Some see it solved by reinstalling windows, something I'm not willing to do, I shouldn't have to do that, I have too much information in my laptop to be a simple process. So my guess is there's some files that remain even after uninstalling calman, and those files have the bug that prevents a correct activation.
Apofis
New User

Postby TestGoddess » Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm

I agree, reinstalling Windows is not a solution and sadly gives us no information on what was actually happening.

Head over to the official beta thread here
http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=6329

Today I posted a tool what will hopefully get us the information we need in order to figure out what is going on.

The more people I can get information from, the faster we'll be able to track this down.
TestGoddess
Site Admin

Postby sysysy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 am

very good information...thanks a lot!!!
Graduated from [url=http://www.soran.edu.iq/] Soran [/url] University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science
sysysy
New User

Postby djgarcia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 am

Just to clarify, I did not re-install Windows, I restored a backup which had my previous Windows and CalMAN installations.
djgarcia
Calibration Ninja

Return to News & Announcements