Error of levels (Calman for Davinci)

Issues with the Forums

Moderators: Joel Barsotti, TestGoddess, derekjsmith

Error of levels (Calman for Davinci)

Postby Vitttal » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 am

Hello!

Some time ago I bought your program "Calman 5 for Davinci Resolve".

Now I use Windows 7 SP 1, Calman 5.3.0 (Build: 1450) and Davinci Resolve Lite 10.1.4 for Windows.
My reference monitor is Eizo CS230 (settings: "Range Extension: OFF; Auto EcoView: OFF; Contrast Enhancer: OFF).
I feed it via SDI BMD DeckLink Mini Monitor + BMD HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort (connected to monitor via DisplayPort).

I very carefully studied your QuickStart Calman+Davinci: http://www.spectracal.com/documents/qsg ... kStart.pdf

But when I calibrating my monitor, I have a very serious problem. When I set in Davinci "Video Levels" and set in Calman "SMPTE (64-940)" then I have 7.5 IRE instead 0 IRE then I use Black level 16.16.16 in Calman. The same way I have 92 IRE instead 100 IRE then I use level 235.235.235 in Calman.

The same problem faced by many other colorists who discuss it here: http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.ph ... -5-3.2414/

This is a serious technical error does not allow correctly calibrated monitor.

I very much ask you to correct this error. I would be very grateful to you!

Thank you for your work!

Best regards,
Vitaly.
Vitttal
New User

Re: Error of levels (Calman for Davinci)

Postby Joel Barsotti » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 pm

What our testing shows is this is simply the way Davinci works. It compresses the levels.

Your need to adjust the brightness and contrast on the display to match how resolve works.

Blackmagic thinks this is correct.
SpectraCal Developer
Joel Barsotti
Site Admin

Postby Vitttal » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 am

No. This problem does not settings of monitor contrast.
This problem only buggy tandem Calman + Davinci.

If BMD thinks that it is correct, you still should know that this is not correct.
And your program that costs 400 $ unusable (I taking about Calman for Resolve).

Why do not you contact the BMD to solve this problem?
Or maybe there is a possibility without BMD update your program so that the Davinci-pattern 16.16.16 seen as 0.0.0 (of course this is true only when the settings "Video-levels" + "SMPTE").

I am sure that many people wait until you fixed this problem before buy your software. You are not interested?
Vitttal
New User

Postby Val » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 am

I have the same experience. Results is no good. From my research best results I get is when calibrate with 0-1023 range and Power Gamma 2.2 and upload resulted LUT in HDLinkPro. If I use resulted LUT in Resolve I get blue in shadows. HDLink somehow overcomes it (mostly due to bug in HDLink firmware or hardware).

All my results was checked by ColorChecker workflow in manual mode using project made by Tom Parish (well, almost, I rebuild all patches from heavily compressed jpegs to tiffs to eliminate possible color decoding errors). I send this info to support before NAB, but has no answer.

Maybe someone from CalMAN developers will spread some light on situation?

Thanks
Val
Calibration Soldier

Postby tteravai » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:40 pm

There's certainly an issue with levels. Following the Spectracal guide will end up in unusable calibration. The workaround I have tried (trying it now) is to set the output video levels to "Full Range" in Resolve.

Timo Teräväinen
Colorist/FX
tteravai
New User

Postby tteravai » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok, so my calibration didn't go through this time either. Error 66, and a suggestion to turn the "sync" on. (which is on). I have now tried "Calman for Davinci" on 3 different systems. First on the same system that I have Resolve, ended up freezing the PC in the middle of 3D lut calibration, had to do a hard reset. Tried with a different PC and connected that to my Resolve PC, that time it didn't even go to the calibration stage, got stuck on the 3D lut setup, it didn't find the 3D lut generator. Have emailed about that to Spectracal, no answer so far. Today I was trying to calibrate with a brand new Sony Vaio laptop, with almost nothing else installed. Error 66. My PC:s are pretty good, one Core i7 3930K system and one 2600K system, with 32 GB ram etc..

Getting sick and tired of this buggy software with wrong reference levels. How do I get my money back ?
tteravai
New User

Postby Tyler Pruitt » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Our latest beta has fixes for Resolve in it. Can you try that? viewtopic.php?f=119&t=5282

Also, be sure the project is set to video levels (smpte) and the patterns in the resolve test project have the "clip attributes" set to video levels.
Tyler Pruitt - SpectraCal
Tyler Pruitt
Calibration Hero

Postby tteravai » Fri May 02, 2014 7:28 am

Tried the latest beta. It crashed in the LUT device setup -section. Sent crash report to Spectracal. Now I can't install an earlier version because it can't be installed over a newer version (which I don't have since I have removed it but the installer isn't smart enough to see it), so I'm stuck with no version of Calman on my PC..
tteravai
New User

Postby connors » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm

tteravai wrote:Tried the latest beta. It crashed in the LUT device setup -section. Sent crash report to Spectracal. Now I can't install an earlier version because it can't be installed over a newer version (which I don't have since I have removed it but the installer isn't smart enough to see it), so I'm stuck with monaco grandprix club track of Calman on my PC..

I've got the same.
Last edited by connors on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
connors
New User

Postby Tyler Pruitt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 am

connors wrote:
tteravai wrote:Tried the latest beta. It crashed in the LUT device setup -section. Sent crash report to Spectracal. Now I can't install an earlier version because it can't be installed over a newer version (which I don't have since I have removed it but the installer isn't smart enough to see it), so I'm stuck with no version of Calman on my PC..

I've got the same.

Please email our support team.
Tyler Pruitt - SpectraCal
Tyler Pruitt
Calibration Hero

Return to Forum Support