Poynton’s Vector 4 - Legal and sensible colours

Poynton’s Vector 4 - Legal and sensible colours

Postby Charles Poynton » Mon May 31, 2010 11:12 am

Colleagues:

I welcome you to use this thread to discuss Poynton’s Vector 4, "Legal and sensible colours."

- Charles
Charles Poynton
Calibration Soldier

Re: Poynton’s Vector 4 - Legal and sensible colours

Postby preciousgollum » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 am

Hi,

Firstly, I thank those who help to educate people (I.e novices such as me) on the issues of TV/monitor calibration. We spend so much time staring at screens, so it is important to get things right.

One of the main confusions that I face regarding screen calibration involves this 16-235 or 0-255 scale. I understand that for movies and TV, it should be 16-235 (or with white up to 255).

My main question involves PC content such as bitmap images, PC games and desktop internet use.

I am unsure whether ALL shades of grey should be visible, I.e 0-255, or if some should be limited. The confusion stems from the fact that a lot of Video Game brightness patterns seem to advocate 0-255, whereas older games (especially older Playstation 1 games or HD remasters of classic games), and many things by Capcom, seem to seek the 16-235 range.

Personally, I think that dampening the desktop to black at 16, makes some things look a lot better, because it removes that 'washed out' feeling and makes colours look more vibrant, like removing a layer of 'mist'.

Of course, it could just be that I am getting used to the screen being too dark, which is why I ask the question:

Can a PLUGE pattern (one where black is coded at 16) be used to set the brightness of a desktop display, or should all shades from 0-255 be visible for computer images and video game content?

For example, the website 'Lagom' display calibration, suggests that all shades should be visible, but I don't know whether this should be taken as gospel, or simply for 'reference' monitor and testing purposes.

So far, I haven't quite found the right answer.
preciousgollum
New User

Return to Poynton's Vector