Poynton’s Vector 6 - The demise of the CRT

Poynton’s Vector 6 - The demise of the CRT

Postby Charles Poynton » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Colleagues:

I welcome you to use this thread to discuss Poynton’s Vector 5, The demise of the CRT.

- Charles
Charles Poynton
Calibration Soldier

Re: Poynton’s Vector 5 - The demise of the CRT

Postby Deus02 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Charles Poynton wrote:Colleagues:

I welcome you to use this thread to discuss Poynton’s Vector 5, The demise of the CRT.

- Charles

There is no question about it, in an effort to produce "designer ultra thin" monitors, a questionable HDMI connection protocal and a 3D strategy with no apparent standard either, it seems to me, the industry, in order to make a buck, has obviously, lost its way. My nine year old Toshiba 65" RPCRT combined with the video processing power of a VideoEQ Pro gives me a picture with STILL unmatched blacks and depth perception that makes me "rue the day" when I will be forced to replace it with one of these new technologies.
Deus02
Calibration Soldier

Postby Bob Walters » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 am

AMEN....to that...............and I got rid of one of those GREAT monsters[SONY] for a flat screen!!!!! It was DEFINITELY "calibratable" & some have said "almost" HD quality.............definitely surpassed DVD!!!
Bob Walters
Calibration Hero

Postby r88522726 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Charles,
I have a question about this:
"Another complication is the luminance loading of
plasma displays: When a full reference white flatfield is presented to
the display, luminance drops according to a total power limit that
corresponds to perhaps 35% of the small-field reference white."

As I know, CRT has the same thing because of its ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) circuit. I believe BVM has teh same thing. Why do you think it is disadvantage?
r88522726
Calibration Soldier

Postby andrewfee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:17 pm

r88522726 wrote:As I know, CRT has the same thing because of its ABL (Auto Brightness Limiter) circuit. I believe BVM has teh same thing. Why do you think it is disadvantage?
The ABL circuit in plasmas is far more aggressive than any CRT I’ve ever used, even on the “monitors” and does not respond linearly like a CRT.
I apologise for the colour scheme OpenOffice chose for this, here are some measurements I took a while back:
All displays were calibrated to 100 nits peak brightness.

The CRT monitor is an old shadow-mask PC monitor. I have found newer aperture-grille based monitors to lose about 5–10% peak brightness.
The Panasonic CRT is a larger television that is around 10 years old and uses their Quintrix tube. At 100% APL, it has lost just under 5.5% brightness.
The Pioneer monitor has lost around 40% brightness, and the Pioneer consumer set loses almost 60% brightness at 100% APL.

On most newer consumer-grade CRTs it was a solved issue, I’m sure it was fixed with pro monitors a long time ago. It’s still a major problem with PDP, along with many other image quality issues that make them unsuitable for anything other than consumer use as cheap big screens. Even the highly regarded Kuros had significant image quality problems in my opinion.

Hopefully OLED won’t take too much longer to be available in larger sizes at more reasonable costs, and I believe AUO still have plans to release FED monitors for broadcast use.
andrewfee
Calibration Hero

Postby r88522726 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Andrew, I aapreciate your great job on this. This corrects what I thought before that CRT should maintain the same peak white luminance at low APL. This fucntion seems to be very great because it maintains the same received light output from the set.
I measured SONY PVM-740 OLED profession monitor and its ABL seems to activate around 250 nits. I didn't have enough resource to measure the peak white at different level that time. I will try to measure it to see if it works linearly if I get a chance again.

Aaron
r88522726
Calibration Soldier

Return to Poynton's Vector